First of all, we have backed up this comm to our shiny new Dreamwidth comm (ds_ssdiscussion.dreamwidth.org).
Second, given the new wave of migration to DW, bad feelings about LJ's new Terms of Service, and uncertainty about the future, we are considering moving to DW entirely and running the exchange out of the DW comm next year. (We'll also continue to use the Tumblr comm, as we did last year.) We don't want to lose any participants, though. So, if you're still on LJ and you're thinking about participating in Seekrit Santa this year, PLEASE respond to the following poll.
I hope to participate in dSSS this year and...
I read Dreamdwidth and could keep up with dSSS announcements there
I read LJ but not DW and want dSSS announcements posted to LJ
I could use either LJ or DW to participate in dSSS
Just to be on the safe side, we've made a DW backup of this comm. We do not currently have plans to use it for anything other than a backup. This is still the space to watch for DSSS-related announcements.
And, of course, next year's sign-ups will be announced on ds-noticeboard on both LJ and DW, as usual.
for the mods
If you've participated in this year's due South Seekrit Santa
, or even if you just joined us along for the ride, but wanted to make treats for the people who participated, from the artists and authors to the mods, you should know that the collection will close for treats soon! You have until 11:59pm Central (Chicago) time, 12/31/2016. After that, the collection will be closed to new entries.
So post your treats, bask in the glory of all the fanworks that this year's fest helped foster, and let's all ring in the New Year together!
The collection for due South Seekrit Santa 2016 is now open! You can find the collection at this link: http://archiveofourown.org/collections/dsss_2016
As you're reading, and maybe doing the "Rec As You Read
", do you want to guess who created the fanwork? Well you're in luck, because that's what this post is for!
Below is a list of fanwork creators. As you're reading, maybe you get a hint as to who you think wrote it? So if you do, post it here! List the creator and what story you think they wrote.
Fanwork creators for dSSS 2016:
Opening of the dSSS fest is almost upon us!
Late tonight, one of your mods will play elf and open the collection, letting us all enjoy the gifts created for the exchange. Once the collection opens, you have the option of playing, "Rec As You Read". If you want to, then keep reading.
All you need to do to participate in "Rec As You Read" is to comment below with something like the following:
Just finished: [Name of the work, with optional URL where others can find it]
Three-ish things I liked about it:
Next I'm going to check out: [Name of he work, with optional URL where others can find it]
If you'd prefer to comment with larger batches of recs, well that's okay too!
Thank you kindly for being part of this year's due South Seekrit Santa Fest!
Are you getting excited to see all the due South Seekrit Santa presents? Sooooon!
Meanwhile, it’s shaping up to be a bumper year for Treats, so keep ‘em coming! (Remember, you can post Treats any time until Chicago ticks over into January 1st.)
Do you plan to be traveling or otherwise busy and off the internet, such that you might not be able to "open" your gift right away? Leave a comment on this post so that your gift-maker doesn't have to wonder whether your lack of response means you hated your present!
Note: identify yourself by AO3 USERNAME, for clarity.
*\o/* 8 days until gifts go live! *\o/*
The deadline has past, the submissions are in (except for a couple of pinch hits)! Congratulations to all! *\o/*
.....now what? you may be wondering.
Well, the collection will go live on the night of the 24th. At that time, you'll be able to read/view/listen to all the delicious gifts, but the makers' names will still be secret until January 1st.
Between now and then, here are two things you can do to keep the dSSS excitement burning.
1) Give your posted fanwork(s) another proof-reading pass. Catch those last couple of pesky typos, lost commas, missing or extraneous words. Make sure you have not accidentally included Seekrit info, such as your own name or your beta's name. I promise you, there is nearly always something to find! :)
2) Make treats for your fellow participants, pinch-hitters, and mods! Go to the AO3 collection for this exchange, view everyone's requests, and fulfil one of them. Detailed instructions here
Our two pinch-hitters are SLwalker and verushka70. Your mods are DesireeArmfeldt, Ride_Forever and squidgie. They may comment on the main treats post
with requests, though so far, none of us has actually done so. :)
Treats are basically like regular gifts, with a few slight differences:1. No minimums for word count or artistic effort.
2. Our quality standards for all works are still in place, including spelling and grammar. Small gifts are still gifts, after all! Treats that don't meet DSSS quality standards may be removed at the discretion of the mods. However, because of the short turn-around time for Treats, you are not required to have them beta'ed -- though we still strongly encourage you to do so.
3. Allowing other gift formats not named in someone's request and relaxing the length/effort requirement are the only rules changes we're permitting. We expect Treats to respect the recipient's requested characters/relationships and any DNW info (including Dear Santa letters).
4. Art, vidlet, or podfic Treats must be hosted on the DSSS servers. Like all DSSS works, Treats are SEEKRIT until Reveal!
5. Remember to use the "DSSS Treat" tag on your treat.
It has been pointed out that yesterday's treats post linked back to *last* year's requests rather than this year's. (LJ only; the Tumblr post had the correct link.) I've fixed the link in that post, but in case anyone went and copied down the request they wanted to work on or something, please check this year's requests
to make sure you've got the right info.
Sorry for the confusion!
Hi all! First, a friendly reminder that primary giftworks are due on THIS WEDNESDAY, December 14 by 11:59 Chicago Time -- that's 5 days and change from now. *\o/*
If you discover that you're not going to be able to make the deadline, please notify the mods by emailing dsss.admin AT gmail DOT com as soon as possible, so we can find a pinch-hitter to take over your assignment.
Remember, all works need to be beta'ed. It's a good idea to give your work an extra proofread after you've posted it, as well -- typos happen to the best of us! :)
Your friendly neighborhood DSSS mods are delighted to announce the commencement of DSSS Treats! Treats are meant to be fun, small, seekrit, and 100% optional. If you have no time for anything beyond your assigned work, no worries! Focus on that (please!), but once you're done making your assigned gift, you are welcome to dive into DSSS at large with drabbles, drawbles, vidlets, and podficlets! Here's how this will work:
Treats Deadline is December 31st!
TREATS may be posted at any point from after you post your assigned giftwork until 12/31/16, 11:59pm Chicago time
! Yes, we're allowing Treats right up through New Years Eve!
NOTE: YOU MUST POST YOUR ASSIGNED GIFTWORK FIRST! (You can still revise it after posting, never fear.) We review all works as they are posted so we can keep track of unfulfilled assignments. If you post a treat without already having posted your assigned giftwork, we will delete the Treat from the collection. POST YOUR ASSIGNED WORK FIRST.
Okay! Assigned DSSS work done? WONDERFUL! Read on!
Who can I make Treats for?
• You may make Treats for anyone participating in DSSS 2016: registered participants, pinch hitters who heroically took on an assignment, and the mods. When works go live, the "Guess the Creators!" post will have a list of everyone who made works, including pinch hitters.
• You may make additional works for your assigned recipient.
• After works go live, you may make companion pieces for any of the gifts in the collection. (These should be complementary works, rather than remixes. If you have any doubts, email the mods and ask!)
• You may make companion pieces in response to the DSSS giftwork(s) you receive. (Again, think complementary works instead of remixes.)
How do I know what to make? Aren't requests hidden?
As of now, everyone's signup requests are visible, so you can go and look at all the prompts to see what inspires you! Treats don't have to be in the requested format(s) – whereas the assigned work absolutely does. If you see a prompt that inspires you in a different format, go for it!
What about pinch hitters? Do they get to make requests?
If you have been assigned a pinch-hit, you are welcome to comment on this post with a request, so that people wanting to make you a Treat have an idea what you might like. Note that this doesn't guarantee you will get a Treat. Mods may also post requests as comments to this post. If you want to make a Treat for a pinch hitter or a mod, check here to see if they've left guidelines.
Special Rules for Treats:
1. IMPORTANT: Carefully follow the special posting instructions for Treats in the next section.
2. Brevity is fine! No minimums for word count or artistic effort.
3. Our quality standards for all works are still in place, including spelling and grammar. Small gifts are still gifts, after all! Treats that don't meet DSSS quality standards may be removed at the discretion of the mods. However, because of the short turn-around time for Treats, you are not required to have them beta'ed -- though we still strongly encourage you to do so.
4. Allowing other gift formats not named in someone's request and relaxing the length/effort requirement are the only rules changes we're permitting. We expect Treats to respect the recipient's requested characters/relationships and any DNW info (including Dear Santa letters).
5. Art, vidlet, or podfic Treats must be hosted on the DSSS servers. Like all DSSS works, Treats are SEEKRIT until Reveal!( Special Upload Instructions for TreatsCollapse )Defaulters MAY NOT post Treats (with some exceptions) Please understand that participants must fulfill their assignments for DSSS to succeed. It doesn't seem fair to us for someone to default, leaving the mods to scramble to find a pinch hitter and the pinch hitter to scramble to put a gift together that matches a specific prompt on short notice, only for the defaulter to blithely create optional treats at the end without doing their originally assigned work. Granted, in certain cases we may offer exceptions (e.g. family emergencies, funerals, etc., and please do email us if this applies to you!), but if you default on your assigned DSSS work, please do not expect to post treats instead. Everyone posting their assigned work is our top priority.
Companion Piece Permissions
Within DSSS, we're working under the assumption that gifts are good and more gifts are welcome. If you write your recipient a story, then a DSSS podficcer could conceivably record that story as a Treat for your recipient, or an artist could make you a cover to go with your fic, etc. As mods, we are entirely on board with this, because more gifts, more creativity, more Due South works, YAY! However, if you have concerns, such as really, really not wanting anyone to record your story as a podfic, please email the mods and we'll reply with further instructions. We admit we hope everyone will take the happy potential for more gifts in the spirit of the December gift-giving season, but we're glad to work with you to respect your comfort zone.
So, to sum up:
Optional Treats are optional. Treats posted by people who have not yet posted their assigned work will be deleted. Everyone's requests are now viewable here. You can post treats alllllllll the way through New Year's Eve, Chicago time. And the length and format rules are relaxed for Treats.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have ANY questions or concerns. We know this may be a little confusing, so ask at will! You guys are awesome. Thanks for being awesome!
Have a wonderful DSSS! <3
December is here, and the DSSS 2016 collection is officially open for posting! You have just under 2 weeks from today to submit your giftwork.
Detailed instructions for posting fic are here
; instructions for posting art, vids, and podfic are here
The deadline for posting your giftwork is 11:59 p.m. Chicago time, December 14. If you are not going to be able to complete your giftwork, please let the mods know ASAP so we can find a pinch-hitter to make something for your recipient.
The collection is moderated, which means your fanwork won’t appear in the collection right away when you’ve posted it. It goes into a queue for the mods to review and approve. We will do this as quickly as we can, but we have day jobs and are clustered in similar time zones, which may be out of sync with yours. Be patient and don’t panic! Give us 24 hours before contacting us to see if something has gone wrong. :)
(Also, last we checked, AO3 does not send out a notification email when a submission is approved; you have to log in and look.)
Once you post a submission, you can edit it right up until the collection goes live on December 24. However, we strongly encourage you to post an as-final-as-possible version: it makes it easier for the mods to review your submission, and you can rest easy knowing that the most you have to do is chase down those last few elusive typos!
Also remember that all submissions must be beta-ed! If you still need to find a beta, check out the beta volunteer posts on LJ and Tumblr
, or contact the mods at dsss.admin AT gmail DOT com for help.
Finished early? Extra-excited about gift-giving? Starting December 9, requests will be made visible so that people can make Treats for participants, pinch-hitters or mods. Instructions about Treats will be posted then. (But make sure you finish your main gift before getting excited about making extra Treats!)
Works will go live in the evening of December 24th. Reveal Day is January 1st.
Cheering you all on! *\o/*
These instructions are for posting non-illustrated DSSS stories and have been updated to include changes to the AO3 upload form. Artists, vidders, and podficcers have a different procedure. If you're uploading a story that contains illustrations, you need to use the artists' instructions
.The posting deadline is Wednesday 14 December 2016 11:59PM Chicago time. Stories must be at least 1000 words per the AO3's word count, be beta-read and revised, and meet DSSS' quality standards. Your story's word count appears in the header to your work and in all AO3 indexes that include your work. (See AO3 Hints section below for more on word count.)
NOTE: We try to keep the following detailed instructions up to date. It's possible AO3 has made changes since last December that affect the posting process -- if you find something that's no longer accurate, please let us know and we'll update the instructions!( Detailed Instructions Below the CutCollapse )Yikes! Where’s My Uploaded Work?
The Seekrit Santa exchange is moderated. This means that when you submit your work, it goes into an approval queue; it won’t appear in the collection until the mods have approved it.
Until works are “revealed,” your submission will not appear in your Works page, or in the due South tag filter. Do not panic! This does not mean your draft has fallen down a black hole. It’s just a little hard to find.
There are three ways you can find your work if you need to edit it:
1) The DSSS 2016 collection’s Works index. If you are logged into AO3, your own work will be visible to you in the index (everyone else’s will be listed as “Mystery Work”). Click on the title to go to the work itself. You will only be able to see your work here after the mods have approved it.
2) In your “My Assignments” list, find the entry for due South Seekrit Santa 2016. Your work’s title should appear there; clicking on it will take you to the work itself. You will be able to see your work here even before the mods have approved it. There will also be a “Status” for the work in the “My Assignments” list: if it says “Complete!” your work has successfully been posted to the collection.
3) On your own Works page, click the “Works In Collections” button. (If you can’t find the button, this URL will take you there: http://archiveofourown.org/users/YOUR-NAME/works/collected; replacing “YOUR-NAME” with your AO3 name, of course.) Your work’s title should appear there; clicking on it will take you to the work itself. You will only be able to see your work here after the mods have approved it.
Again, you may edit your uploaded work as much as you like.
Once your fanwork is uploaded, the mods will review and approve it (or contact you if there is an issue that needs to be resolved before approval). Unfortunately, last we checked, AO3 does not send out a notification email when a submission is approved.
AO3 Hints & Further Details( Hints Below the CutCollapse )Whew...okay! That should be everything! If you need help with your upload, please consult these instructions first! I know there are a lot of steps, but they're fairly easy and most are entirely optional. If you still have questions specific to your upload OR if something goes horribly wrong, please email us at dsss.admin at gmail & we'll do what we can to help! If it's beyond our understanding, then we can contact AO3 support and bring in the experts.
Note: this year all the mods are in North America, so time zones and RL factors may delay an immediate reply. Be patient!
If you have general questions, email us or comment below! (Comments are visible to all, so be sure to keep seekrit things seekrit!)
Remember, the deadline for posting assigned giftworks is Wednesday 14 December 2016 11:59PM Chicago time. We absolutely have to hear from you by then. If we don't, we'll pass your assignment on to a pinch hitter.